Dr. Donald J Waldrep, MD FACS, is one of the most sought after bariatric surgeons in the US. Innovator of “The WRAP” - the new stomach re-shaping procedure revolutionizing weight loss surgery – Dr. Waldrep has successfully helped thousands of patients reach their weight loss goals.
Dr. Waldrep and his patients have been featured on NBC-TV, ABC-TV, E! Entertainment, USA Today.com, Sacramento Bee, the Ventura Star, and nationally syndicated health and weight loss specials.
Experience includes ...
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- Fellow of the American Society for Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery
- Diplomate of the American Board of Surgery
- Medical Director for a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence
- Assistant Clinical Professor for the first Minimally Invasive Surgery division at University of Southern California
- Certification by the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Essentials, Advanced, and Masters Courses
- Certificates in bariatric surgery training from the University of Pittsburgh and Stanford University
- One of the first surgeons to participate in the ASMBS sponsored preceptorship program
- Appointed to the inaugural Bariatric Surgery Review Committee (BSRC) of the Surgical Review Corporation licensed by ASMBS to establish Center of Excellence criteria for bariatric surgery programs
- Served on multiple weight-loss surgery expertise “thought leader” panels created by government, professional, regulatory, and industry entities, including California, national, and international forums
- Showed interest and talent in advanced laparoscopy at the very advent of the minimally invasive surgical era and created what has been called the “top tier” of single surgeon weight loss surgical experience
- Personally performed several thousand
laparoscopic weight-loss surgeries, including Gastric Bypass, Gastric Banding, the first private-practice FDA sanctioned “Low BMI” Banding, revision surgeries, and now a leading experience in evaluating the role of Imbrication Gastroplasty
- Currently innovating the next important phase of weight loss surgical care and patient access with the investigation and promotion of WRAP imbrication gastroplasty with the leading experience in the United States
- Panel member for the Bariatric Surgery Policy Workgroup, a consortium of bariatric medical and surgical providers and California Association of Health Plans designed to develop a Consensus Statement for the evaluation, selection, and treatment of morbidly obese patients
- Appointed as surgical expert on the Obesity Provider Toolkit Expert Panel; an educational consensus panel comprised of the California Medical Association Foundation (CMA Foundation) and California Association of Health Plans (CAHP). This is the first expert panel meeting to collaboratively develop an Obesity Provider Toolkit addressing the growing obesity epidemic in the state of California
- Panel member of the Bariatric Challenge Advisory Meeting consortium of select leaders in the national bariatric surgery community as well as experts in diabetic management and bariatric medical care
- Panel member for Global Insights for Gastric Banding as one of six US leaders in bariatric surgery were invited to meet with four similar surgeons from across Europe to discuss the possibility of producing a “best practice” consensus, as well as the future trends in gastric banding popularity, access, and design demands
- Author for several articles on advanced laparoscopic surgery and traditional general surgery in Journal of the Society of Laparoendscopic Surgeons, Annals of Surgery, American Journal of Surgery, Surgical Endoscopy, Journal of the American College of Surgeons, and American Surgeon as well as several textbook chapters